11:00 A.M. sharp. Alarm goes off. You have class in an hour, so you press the snooze button. Ten minutes later, your alarm goes off, again you hit the snooze button. Another ten minutes later, your alarm goes off again. What do you do? You would think that by now you would finally drag yourself out of bed. But for someone’s roommate, this is not the case.
I got woken up at 5:30 in the morning because my roommate’s alarm went off. I wouldn’t have minded if it went off once, or even twice before she decided to get up, but she hit the snooze button ten to fifteen times before I finally asked her to turn the alarm off. I don’t know about you, but this seems a little bit drastic.
It was fine for about an hour after she turned the alarm off, but I had to wake up at 8 A.M. to go to a class at 9 A.M. I am not a morning person, but getting woken up really early because your roommate is too lazy to turn an alarm off that is two inches from her face is a bit excessive in my opinion.
This incident got me thinking though. I am pretty sure there are people like her that have a hard time waking up in the morning the first time that your alarm goes off. So for your enjoyment, here are 7 things that will help you get out of bed in the morning.
1. Set the timer, if possible, so that a bright light will shine in your face. That way it will be easier to wake up on time. Plus it’s really hard to sleep with a bright light shining in your face.
2. Set a timer on a heater for an hour before you wake up. If your room is nice and cozy, you will be more willing to leave the coziness of your bed and sheets into a warm room when you wake up.
3. If you are a coffee drinker, get a coffee pot with a timer so that when you wake up you can have a nice hot pot of coffee waiting for you to drink it all up. Another plus is that the smell of the delicious coffee will probably help you get your butt out of bed.
4. This may seem like a no brainer, but put your alarm clock on the other side of the room. Then you are forced to get up and turn the alarm off.
5. You can also set a second alarm and set it in another room so that when the first alarm goes off you know you have to go find the second one before it too goes off.
6. If you still find yourself hitting the snooze button time after time, take your alarm, lock it up in a combination box and attach the internal clock speaker to an external stereo speaker. This is a bit extreme, but if it works, then it works.
7. Now this one is just a last ditch effort to get you to stop hitting that pesky snooze button, so only use it if nothing else works. Super glue your snooze button so that it is not functional, but in a way that doesn’t hurt your alarm clock.
So to avoid situations like the one that I am in, and annoying and waking up your roommate, use those helpful tips to help you wake up the first time, and not the 20th time your alarm goes off.